The Pleasant Shade Missionary Baptist Church was established in 1907. It was located on the Lucas Fleming Farm. The first building used for worship was a one room structure divided by one partition to create a special area of authority for the pastors. In 1927, the church was moved to a wood building at its present location.
The first pastor on record for PSMBC was Rev. Cleveland Wilkerson. The next pastor was Rev. Frank Pierson. The third pastor was Rev. R. Berry and the fourth pastor was Rev. T. Good, followed by Rev. Grimes. Under his leadership, a stone building was erected around the wooden building. Rev. Grimes remained pastor until his death in 1962.
June, 1963 Rev. S. J. Johnson was called to pastor the church. Under his leadership, the church was remodeled in 1974. In 1984, the first bus was purchased. After 27 years as pastor, Rev. Johnson retired because of poor health. He passed away in 1992.
After the retirement of Rev. Johnson, the church called Rev. C. L. Green as pastor. He initiated several ministries that were not present in the church: Vacation Bible School ; Spring Revival and Wednesday night bible Study. He also reinstated the Board of Trustees. Other projects were the purchase of the first copier machine, central heat and air was added to the pastor's study, and paved the parking lot. Rev Green resigned in 1996.
In 1997, the church called Rev. Chester A. Hammond, Jr. as pastor. The year 1998-2008, Pastor Hammond began focusing on moving from "Membership to Discipleship." This task included forming the Outreach Ministry; Golden Girls Club; Church Newsletter (Christian Chronicle); Sister to Sister Ministry; Young Women's Ministry, Praise Team, Food Ministry, Food Pantry, a second service (Early Morning) was added along with a new early morning inspirational choir, two additional organists, drummer, saxophonist, along with two guitarist were added to the church and the re-instatement of the Brotherhood Ministry. The Spanish Ministry was added along with a van donated for their ministry. The church has grown tremendously since Pastor Hammond's arrival. A major remodeling of the sanctuary was accomplished along with a new sign out front and the purchase of 5.38 acres of land.
Accomplishments during his administration:
• purchased two passenger vans
• heater for the baptism pool
• two new Xerox copiers were purchased
• pastors study was redecorated
• purchase of ice machine for the kitchen
• purchase of two new stoves
• purchase of commercial refrigerator
• upgraded the parking lot.
• Renovated sanctuary
• Purchase of new tables in kitchen
• Purchase of 75 table cloths
• Parking signs
• Church picnic
• New Worship Center at a cost of more than a million dollars.
On September 1, 2004 , groundbreaking ceremony was held for the New Worship Center . On Sunday January 8, 2006 , Pastor Hammond led the congregation into their new worship center at a cost of more than a million dollars. Under Pastor’s Hammond’s administration, more than 1200 new members have joined the church.
The history of Pleasant Shade Missionary Baptist Church is very vast. We have come this far by faith leaning on the Lord.
Pleasant Shade Missionary Baptist Church
1891 Damascus Road - P. O. Box 311047
Enterprise, Alabama 36331
Phone (334) 347-5195
Fax (334) 347-2943
Sunday School 9:00 A.M
Worship Service 10:00 A.M
Prayer Service/Bible study
Wednesday Night @ 7:00 P.M.
© 2016 Pleasant Shade Missionary Baptist Church | Web Design by eManuel Business Solutions www.emanuelbiz.com